Frequently Asked Questions

At Bentz Electric, LLC we hear a lot of questions about electricity, lighting, energy efficiency and more. We are more than happy to answer all of your questions. If you don’t find what you are looking for here, feel free to contact us. We are always happy to help!

When is it time to call an electrician?
  • When you are resetting circuit breakers or changing fuses often
  • When you turn on your air conditioner and the lights dim in the room
  • When your lights flicker or go on and off
  • When you can smell electricity burning (a plastic burning smell)
  • When you have multiple electronic devices going into one outlet behind your electronics center
  • When you have receptacle outlets overburdened by multi-plug strips/power strips
  • When a three prong plug needs a two prong adapter
  • When you have to run extension cords to plug in electrical devices
  • When you need to rewire the entire house because things are beyond repair

There are a lot of household situations that need the help of an electrician. Call us with your electrical concerns.

What size service do I install in my home?

In Wisconsin there is a 100 Amp minimum, but with all the new electronic devices, air conditioners and electric heat, we usually recommend 200 Amps, especially in newer homes. This also gives you space for future expansion down the road. This is not a job for an unlicensed person to attempt. In most cases it involves replacing everything from the service loop (utility wires) up to and including the main electrical panel. Costs vary depending on the layout of your home, whether the service will be overhead or underground service, and the size of the service. Call us for an evaluation and estimate.

Where do you put GFCI and AFCI outlets?

Any bathroom or garage needs to be GFCI protected. The code also requires all kitchen countertop outlets to be protected. GFCI outlets must also be installed in any area where electricity and water may come in to contact with each other, including basements, pools, spas, utility rooms, and outdoors. This is just a partial list of GFCI code requirements. In Wisconsin, AFCI circuits are required for new circuits in almost all living areas of a home, with the exception of kitchens and bathrooms.

Failed your home inspection?

We can make the necessary repairs or improvements to satisfy your buyer/seller to help keep your closing date on schedule.